Easy Mexican Bowl
This quick and easy Mexican bowl can be made for lunch or dinner, and is packed with veggies, protein and low GI grains.
1 small onion, chopped
300g extra lean beef mince
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground chilli (or to taste)
1 x 125g can 4 bean mix, drained and rinsed
1 cup brown rice & quinoa
1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
1 carrot, grated
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup baby spinach
1 bunch fresh coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
1 lime, quartered for garnish and dressing
- Prepare brown rice & quinoa according to package instructions, or for convenience use a pre-cooked pack of brown rice and quinoa.
- Chop onion finely.
- Brown onion and beef mince in a frying pan on a medium to high heat.
- Add the spices (cumin, ground coriander and chilli) and stir well. When mince is browned, add the 4 bean mix.
- Chop, grate and prepare the salad vegetables (avocado, carrot, tomatoes, spinach and coriander leaves).
- Divide the cook mince and bean mixture into two bowls, add the rice & quinoa and salad veggies. Garnish with coriander and serve with two quarters of lime for dressing.
Beef mince can be swapped for tofu to make a vegetarian version.